I’m sharing this detox journey a little late but better late than never. I wanted to start off 2016 with a bang and what better way to do it than detoxing? Yes I detoxed for 10 days with the company of my mom and aunt (a support system is crucial to success). Let me start off by saying that this journey was amazing. Of course there were bumps in the road but finishing the journey was well worth it. I had never done a detox as long as 10 days which gave me a great sense of pride. Along with the pride came the much needed weight loss motivation. After 10 days I lost a total of 5 lbs which as stayed of for about a month now. What is this detox? Did I eat real food? And did I poop?
Dr. Hyman’s 10 Day Detox is 10 days without refined sugars, carbs, and legumes. How did I make it? I thought it would be pretty tough. The sugar I could handle going without because my diet is pretty limited in refined sugar. I only drink water during the day and tea without sugar at night. I thought going without the carbs and legumes would kill me. I am Jamaican. If there is anything we Jamaicans know it’s rice and peas. Going without both for an entire week let alone 10 days is unheard of. Carbs and legumes are a staple in my Jamaican and vegan diet. I’m not quite sure how but we made it through. After all this talk about what I didn’t eat, let’s talk about what I did eat: blueberries, cranberries, almond butter, chia seeds, hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, almond milk, almond butter, tofu, tempeh, onions, and every green vegetable you can think of. The food was real, wholesome, and filling. I was never hungry unless I ate late. I also had cashews as a snack most days. Now for the poop! This is not an unnatural 10 day poop session. Granted, it does happen A LOT, but in a very healthy way.When it’s time to go to the bathroom you will know. Trust that your body will lead you in the right direction.
10 Day Meal Plan:
- The breakfast smoothie was absolutely delicious and filling
- The detox allows you to pick which veggies you would like to use each day
- The veggie variety makes it easier to stand very similar meals each day
- I lost 5 lbs
- Much of the weight was lost around my mid section
- I have kept the weight off
- I did not read the book so there may been been more smoothie options but I only had the one for 10 days
- There are limited vegan protein options (tofu and tempeh) so dinner meals become redundant
- It calls for a lot of raw veggies especially for lunch and raw veggies are not my favorite.
- I no longer use refined sugar in my cooking (only agave and vegetable glycerin)
- My rice and beans/peas dishes now contain more vegetables than ever before
- I am warming up to the idea of salads
- I am determined to keep the weight off and continue to lose in a healthy way
- Detoxing will become a regular thing for me at the start of each season.
All in all I am glad to have completed the detox successfully. Will definitely be doing this again. Maybe not this detox per se for the start of spring but a detox nonetheless. Try it! You will be glad you started.
P.S. Go to Trader Joe’s for the nuts and seeds and your local farmer’s market for the veggies to cut down on costs.